Juli Dixon, Ph.D.
Program: Mathematics Education, Elementary Education
Department: School of Teaching, Learning, and Leadership
Juli K. Dixon, Ph. D., is a professor of mathematics education at the University of Central Florida (UCF). She coordinates the award-winning Lockheed Martin/UCF Academy Master of Education in K-8 mathematics and science and the PhD in mathematics education. Dr. Dixon is focused on improving teachers' mathematics knowledge for teaching so that they can communicate and justify mathematical ideas and also expect their students to explain their mathematical thinking. Prior to joining the faculty at UCF, Dr. Dixon was a secondary mathematics educator at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and a public school mathematics teacher in urban school settings at the elementary, middle, and secondary levels. She is a prolific writer of K-12 books, textbooks, book chapters, and articles. A sought-after speaker, Dr. Dixon has delivered keynotes and other presentations throughout North America. She is co-author of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s Go Math for K-8 Mathematics and AGA and Integrated Mathematics for High School. She is also co-author of Solution Tree’s Making Sense of Mathematics for Teaching book and video series. Especially important to Dr. Dixon is the need to teach each and every student. She shares her personal story of supporting her own children with special needs to learn mathematics in an inclusive setting. Dr. Dixon received a bachelor's degree in mathematics and education from SUNY Potsdam, a master's degree in mathematics education from Syracuse University, and a doctorate in curriculum and instruction (with an emphasis in mathematics education) from the University of Florida. Dr. Dixon is a leader in DNA Mathematics.
Ph.D. in Instruction and Curriculum, Mathematics Education
University of Florida
Areas of Expertise
- Mathematics Education
- Improving student achievement by focusing on deepening teachers' knowledge of mathematics for teaching and supporting communication and justification of mathematical ideas
- Developing mathematics curricula that is focused and meaningful
- Supporting students who struggle to learn mathematics
Recent Honors and Awards
- Academic Year Sabbatical, 2017-2018
- Inductee, UCF Scroll and Quill Society, 2017
- UCF Teaching Incentive Program Award, 2016 – 2017
- William R. Jones Outstanding Mentor Award, Florida Education Fund, 2014
- UCF Research Incentive Award, 2012-2013
Dixon, J. K., Nolan, E. C., Adams, T. L., Brooks, L. A., & Howse, T. D. (2016). Making sense of mathematics for teaching grades K-2. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
Dixon, J. K., Nolan, E. C., Adams, T. L., Tobias, J. M., Barmoha, G. (2016). Making sense of mathematics for teaching grades 3-5. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
Nolan, E. C., Dixon, J. K., Roy, G. & Andreasen, J. B. (2016). Making sense of mathematics for teaching grades 6-8. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
Nolan, E. C., Dixon, J. K., Safi, F., Haciomeroglu, E. S. (2016). Making sense of mathematics for teaching high school. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
Dixon, J. K., Andreasen, J. B., Avila, C. L., Bawatneh, Z., Deichert, D., Howse, T., Sotillo Turner, M. (2014). Redefining the whole: Common errors in elementary preservice teachers’ self-authored word problems for fraction subtraction. Investigations in Mathematics Learning 7(1), 1-22.
Current Funded Projects
Dixon, J. K.& Brooks, L.A. (2017). Inspiring meaningful discourse during small group mathematics instruction throughout authentic classroom videos. University of Central Florida College of Education and Human Performance Exploratory Demonstration Project Examining Innovations focused on “Inspiring Teachers,” funded $25,990.
Schoen, R. (FSU), Dixon, J. K. (UCF), & Secada, W. (UM). (2012-2016). Replicating the CGI experiment in diverse environments. Institute of Education Sciences (IES) Education Effective Teachers and Effective Teachers Program, Efficacy and Replication Study, funded $3,480,000.
Faculty Related Links
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE), 2004-present
- Florida Association of Mathematics Teachers Educators (FAMTE), 2004-present
- Florida Association of Mathematics Supervisors (FAMS), 2008-present
- Florida Association of Teacher Educators (FATE), 2009-present
- Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM), 2000-present
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM), 1996-present
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), 1987-present