Matthew Munyon, Ph.D., N.C.C.
Director for Assessment, Analytics and Applications
Department: Accreditation and Analytics
Since the time I was young, I have made it my mission to understand the story behind people, places, and things. In my early-20s, I became a counselor to help people tell their stories, one session at a time. In my late-20s, I helped Florida leaders understand data and policies that explained what made families strong. In my mid-30s, I had an epiphany. The stories behind data could help me understand the past, present, and future of many people, places, and things simultaneously. Since 2006, I have successfully and passionately worked as a data scientist and statistician at the University of Central Florida. Through advanced data analytics and visualization, I help others understand the stories that their data are ready to tell. I collaborate in determining and implementing data-driven changes to actions, policies, procedures, and strategies. I assess data-based changes for signs of closing the loop. I rinse and repeat: data present an ongoing narrative that must be observed, assessed, communicated, and acted upon by all those woven into their stories.
Areas of Expertise
- Advanced analytics and statistics (SPSS, SAS, SmartPLS, MiniTab, R, Python)
- Data visualizations (Tableau, SAS Enterprise Miner, SPSS, Advanced Excel, R, Python)
- Data narratives (scholarly written and oral communication via reports, manuscripts, proposals, presentations)
- Organized project management (Gantt charts, task tracking, timely and transparent team communication and planning)
- Research methodology (quantitative and qualitative)