Eleazar Vasquez, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Professor
Program: Toni Jennings Exceptional Education Institute; Exceptional Student Education
Department: Child, Family, & Community Sciences
Eleazar Vasquez, Ph.D., BCBA-D, Director of the Toni Jennings Exceptional Education Institute and Associate Professor.
His current research focuses on the evaluation of academic and behavioral outcomes for students with autism utilizing technology to enhance instruction. Dr. Vasquez was recipient of the inaugural Reach for the Stars Award (2014) and has been recognized as a Teaching Academy and iSTEM Fellow at the University of Central Florida. Recently his research has expanded from K-12 schools to postsecondary institutions and other venues to prepare students who are traditionally marginalized, such as those with executive functioning disorder, for careers in STEM related fields. Dr. Vasquez’s research has been supported in part by $8 million from the National Science Foundation and Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs. Nationally Dr. Vasquez serves as the Treasurer for the Universal Design for Learning Implementation and Research Network, and Technology Chair for the American Council for Rural Special Education.
Ph.D. in Disability Disciplines
Utah State University
Areas of Expertise
- Single Subject Design
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- STEM Education
Recent Honors and Awards
- 2016 Research Incentive Award
- 2016 Excellence in Research Award College of Education and Human Performance
- 2015 Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award
- 2015 iSTEM Fellow
- 2014 Inaugural Reach for the Stars Award
Taylor, M., Vasquez, E., Donehower, C. (2017). Computer programming with early elementary students with down syndrome. Journal of Special Education Technology.
Vasquez, E., Marino, M. T., Donehower, C., Koch, A. (2017) Trial-Based Functional Analysis in Virtual Environments. Rural Special Education Quarterly (invited special issue).
*+Pearl, C. E., Vasquez, E., Marino, M. T., Rosenberg, M. Wienke, W. Donehower, C., Gourwitz, J. & Duerr, S. (2017). Establishing content validity of the Quality Indicators for Classrooms Serving Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder instrument. Teacher Education and Special Education. DOI: 10.1177/08884064166814.
Rock, M., L., Spooner, F., Nagro, S., Vasquez, E., Dunn, C., Leko, M., Luckner, J., *Donehower, C., *Jones, J. L. (2016). Transforming teacher development in the digital age: Policy drivers, implications, and recommendations. Teacher Education and Special Education (Invited Special Issue) 39 (2): 98-120.
Vasquez, E., Welch, G., Marino, M , Hughes, D., *Koch, A., *Delisio, L., (2015). Virtual learning environments for students with disabilities: A review and analysis of the empirical literature and two case studies. Rural Special Education Quarterly (Invited Special Issue) 34(3):26-32.
Current Funded Projects
- NSF Award 1611019 Collaborative Multidisciplinary Engineering Design Experiences for Teachers (Project CoMET)
- OSEP Award H325K150201 Preparing Special Educators in Autism Spectrum Disorders (Project ASD)
- NSF Award 1612009 Adapting Collaborating Classes to Equally Support Science Students (Project ACESS)
- NSF Award 1505202 Interdisciplinary Coaching as a Nexus for transforming how institutions support undergraduates in STEM (Project iCAN)
- OSEP award H325K130222 Special Educator Preparation in Autism Spectrum Disorders (Project ASD)
Faculty Related Links
- Universal Design for Learning Implementation and Research Network (UDL-IRN)
- American Council on Rural Special Education (ACRES)
- Teacher Education Division (TED)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- International Association for Behavior Analysis (ABA)